UNION COUNTY — The Union County Development Board gained a new member and saw two current ones reappointed during Tuesday’s Union County Council meeting.
On a motion from Councilman Ben Ivey, seconded by Councilman Ralph Tucker, council voted unanimously to approve a recommendation by Union County Development Board Executive Director Kathy Jo Lancaster that the following individuals be appointed/reappointed to the Development Board:
• William D. All II to a second term on the board.
• Ann Angermeier to a first term on the board.
• Paul R. Newhouse to a second term on the board.
Lancaster said that All, an attorney, and Angermeier, Executive Director of the Upstate Workforce Investment Board, will hold the two seats on the board representing the area of “Finance and Other Professional Occupations that impact Industry Recruitment and Retention.” She said that Newhouse, Chief Officer for the Union Hospital District, will hold the seat representing the “Local Healthcare System.”
The Development Board was established in 1982 with, according to its website (uniondevelopmentboard.com), the “primary purpose of recruiting new industry, retaining existing industry, and creating new jobs and capital investment.” It states that the mission of the Development Board is to “promote sustainable economic growth and quality of life by: 1) recruiting targeted industries, 2) putting into place support mechanisms for retaining existing industry, 3) encouraging diverse business growth, and 4) improve internal and external communications.”
The website describes the board as “an energized, progressive team of leaders with diverse backgrounds and expertise in practical areas that positively impact economic development and growth. These areas include: public utilities, private utilities, industry, secondary education, post- secondary education, healthcare, finance and other professional occupations that impact industry recruitment and retention.”
Lancaster said each area represented on the board is allotted the following numbers of seats by county ordinance:
• Private Utilities — 1
• Public Utilities — 1
• Finance and Other Professional Occupations that impact Industry Recruitment and Retention — 2
• Existing Industry with at least 50 Employees — 2
• Local Healthcare System — 1
• Higher Education — 2
• At-Large — 1
• Ex-Officio (School Superintendent) — 1
With the appointments approved Tuesday, the board is now composed of the following members:
• Joe F. Nichols (Board Chairman), Director of the City of Union Utility Department — Public Utilities
• Andrena Powell-Baker, Senior Manager of Community Relations and Development for Lockhart Power — Private Utilities
• Ann Angermeier, Executive Director of the Upstate Workforce Investment Board — Finance and Other Professional Occupations that impact Industry Recruitment and Retention
• Dr. William Roach, Union County School District Superintendent — Ex-Officio Member
• Joe E. Hines Jr., Owner of Santuc Precision, LLC — At-Large Member
• Ray Switzer, Vice President of Business Affairs for Spartanburg Community College — Higher Education
• Paul R. Newhouse, Chief Officer for the Union Hospital District — Local Healthcare System
• Dale Wendel, Chemical Engineer for Carlisle Finishing — Existing Industry with at least 50 Employees
• William D. All II, Attorney at Law — Finance and Other Professional Occupations that impact Industry Recruitment and Retention
• Kathy Jo Lancaster, Union County Development Board Executive Director
• Marybeth Hanvey, Administrative Office Assistant for the Union County Development Board
The Union County Development Board meets the second Tuesday of each month at 4 p.m. in the boardroom of the Union County Development Board Office at 207 South Herndon Street, Union. For more information about the board and matters relating to economic development call 864-319-1097.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.