SPARTANBURG — Here’s a recipe for making six servings of “Harvest Stew.”
• 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 10-12 leaves kale, stems removed and cut in ribbons
• 2 cans great northern beans or other beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 pound cooked sausage (cooked)
• 6 cups cooked winter squash, scooped in 1-inch chunks
• 2 1/2 cups water
• 1 Tbl chili powder
• 2 Tbl canola oil
• 3/4 tsp dried sage (optional)
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (optional)
1. Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil, heat briefly before adding vegetables.
2. Add onion and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until onion has softened and is starting to brown at edges. Add garlic, cook 1 minute or more.
3. Add beans, water, salt, kale, sage, squash, and sausage (if using). Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook 15-20 minutes.
This recipe is from the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and was provided by the Spartanburg Regional Heatlhcare System.