Water to be shut off Sunday night for valve replacement

By Charles Warner cwarner@civitasmedia.com

July 11, 2014

UNION — The section of the Duncan Bypass between the intersection of Rice Avenue and Hardees will be without water for several hours Sunday night as the City of Union replaces two more valves on its main water distribution system.

Personnel from Boulware Plumbing & Construction were busy Thursday morning breaking up the asphalt at the intersection of Harwood Heights and Duncan Bypass. The asphalt was then scooped up and the dirt beneath it dug up to provide access to the water line running underneath the intersection. A metal plate will then be placed over the holes to allow traffic to continue using the intersection until city utility crews can replace the valves on the water line.

City of Union Utility Director Joe Nichols said Thursday that this will be the last phase of a replacement project that has been going on for more than two months. The purpose of the project is to replace the existing 16 16-inch valves on the line with new ones and Nichols said the valves at the Harwood Heights intersection are the last ones being replaced.

Nichols said that plans are to replace the valves Sunday night beginning at 11 p.m. when the water to that section of the system is shut off.

The shutoff of the water will affect the area running along the Duncan Bypass from Rice Avenue to Hardees. While most of the customers served by that section of the system are retail or service sector businesses, Nichols said a few are residential customers located off the Duncan Bypass toward Buffalo. The work is being done at night to minimize any inconvenience to the customers and Nichols said he hopes to have water service restored by 6 a.m. Monday.

A similar shutoff of the system took place last week along an area of the Duncan Bypass running from the old Rotary Club recycling center to Harwood Heights. The water was turned off at 10 p.m. Wednesday to allow city utility crews to replace the valves on the line running under the Rice Avenue intersection. The project was completed and water service turned back on at 5 p.m. Thursday.

Once the replacements are made, the steel plates covering the holes will be place back over them. They will remain there until the holes can be repaired and repaved with new asphalt.