April 18, 2014
Friday, April 18
• The Wallace Thomson Volunteers will be holding their annual Spring Bake Sale in the hospital lobby beginning at 7 am. Money raised will go toward the adult volunteer scholarship fund.
Sunday, April 20
• Trena Land and Carroll Rutherford sponsors a Community Easter Egg Hunt at 2 p.m. at 120 Porter St. in Chambertown. There will be games for the adults as well as the children. All the children will need is to bring an empty Easter basket. The Easter Bunny will be there to meet with an pose for pictures with the children and so parents are encouraged to bring their cameras.
Monday, April 21
• The Bonham FCL meets at the Clemson Extension Building at 11 a.m.
• The Union County Arts Council holds “Monday Night Music” from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Grace United Methodist Church. Any musicians wanting to play should be at the church’s fellowship hall at 6 p.m. for setup. “Monday Night Music” is a free program and everyone is invited to attend either as a musician or audience member.
Monday, April 21-Tuesday, April 22
• The Wallace Thomson Hospital Volunteers will have a Book & Gift Sale in the hospital lobby on Monday, April 21 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and Tuesday, April 22 from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Come find great gifts and books at affordable prices.
Tuesday, April 22
• The Union County Council Committee on Personnel, County Offices and Departments meets at 5:10 p.m. in the Class Room at Wallace Thomson Hospital to discuss a job vacancy. Union County Council will hold a special meeting at 5:15 p.m. in the Class Room at Wallace Thomson Hospital to hear budget presentations, receive an update on economic development, and discuss other matters. Council will recess from the special meeting so the County Council Committee on Public Health and Social Services can meet jointly with the Union Hospital District Board in the Hospital Board Room at 6:30 p.m. to receive a report from Dawn Carter of Ascendient Healthcare Advisors regarding affiliation efforts for the Union Hospital District and discuss other legal and contractual matters related thereto. Union County Council will determine if there is a need to reconvene after the committee meeting. The public is invited to attend.
• Lockhart Town Council meets at 7 p.m. in the Lockhart Town Hall.
Wednesday, April 23
• The Union County Disabilities and Special Needs Board holds their monthly meeting at noon. The meeting will be held at 226 S. Gadberry St. Lunch will be provided.
Thursday, April 24-Sunday, April 27
• The UCHS Dept. of Visual & Performing Arts presents the musical “Hairspray!” The Dinner Theatre performance will be Thursday, April 24 at 6:30; advance ticket is required. Non-Dinner performances run at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Apr. 25-26; and at 3 p.m. Sunday, Apr. 27. Tickets are available at the door. Advance tickets are available at Union County High School and at WBCU Radio on Main Street, Union.
Saturday, April 26
• Dollar General hosts a Basketball Tournament with proceeds going to Relay For Life.
Sunday, April 27
• The Union High School Class of 1979 meets from 3-5 p.m. at the City of Union Municipal Building. If you can’t stay for the entire meeting, please drop-in.
Monday, April 28
• The Union County Democratic Party monthly meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Union Housing Authority, 201 Porter St. The meeting is open to the public.
Tuesday, May 6
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 6:30 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Meeting Room at the fairgrounds. Light refreshments are served at 6:30 and program begins at 7 p.m. Jim Stevens will present a program about harvesting honey. Anyone interested in bees is invited to attend. Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Saturday, June 21
• Come join Betsy & Company along with Over the Hill Gang Relay for Life Team on a 1 day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. Departing Jonesville Municipal Building at 1:30 p.m. Departing Old Walmart Parking Lot at 2 p.m. If interested contact Betsy at 864-674-6799.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.