January 15, 2014
UNION COUNTY — A Union County High School student and a Union Christian Day School student are the latest recipients of the DAR Good Citizen Award.
Alana Dion Wright, a UCHS senior, and Alex Henderson, a UCDS senior, were each presented with the Good Citizen Award by the Fair Forest Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution during the group’s Jan. 7 meeting in the meeting room of the Union County Museum.
The Good Citizen Award honors high school seniors who have demonstrated academic excellence, dependability, service, leadership, and patriotism. The award is presented to students who are nominated by their high school for demonstrating the qualities the award honors.
Alana Dion Wright
Wright is an Honors student at UCHS a 3.9 GPA and a Class Rank of 41.
Her school activities and honors include:
• JROTC Battalion Executive Officer
• Attending the Palmetto Girls State this past summer.
• Member of the George C. Marshall Leadership Team.
• Five years a member of the UCHS Marching Band including serving as Band Captain and trumpet section leader.
• Commander of the JEDI Knights
• Vice President of the National Honor Society
• Interact Club member
• Member of the Color Guard/Drill Team
• Youth Leadership of Union County member
• Member of the Wind Ensemble
• Secretary of the National Beta Club
• Received the George C. Marshall and General Douglas MacArthur Medal in Washington, D.C. this past summer.
• Serving on the Arthur State Bank Junior Board of Directors.
• A member of the Future Business Leaders of America.
• Secretary of the SGA
In addition to her school activities, Wright is heavily involved in the community. Her community activities include:
• Maintaining the 9/11 Memorial on U.S. 176.
• Relay for Life
• Volunteer work at the The Potter’s House and Union County Pregnancy Center.
• Buffalo Community benefit for a cancer patient.
• Interact Community Service (can duty)
Wright is a member of Buffalo United Methodist Church where she is in the Youth Group, Adult Choir, Handbell Choir, Church Food Pantry, and Relay for Life Team.
Her skills include proficiency in Microsoft Windows; very attentive to detail; learns very quickly, and team player.
In submitting this information, Wright stated that her objective is “to give insight of myself for the DAR Good Citizens Scholarship.”
Wright is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Keith Wright.
Henderson’s high school activities include:
• SGA Vice President
• Beta Club Vice President
• Captain of the men’s volleyball team
• All-Tournament Player at the 2013 State Championship
• Member of the basketball team
His community activities include:
• Participation in Beta Club road clean-ups.
• Attending church at Greater Union Church where he is involved in the Member Youth Group and the Member Youth Sunday School Class.
• Serving on two mission trips to Mexico.
His work history includes yard work, renovations and construction, and the Youth Conservation Corps with the U.S. Forestry Service.
In his DAR Good Citizen nomination, Henderson states the following about the qualities the award honors:
• Dependability: “I always complete my work on time. When someone asks me to do something for them, they can depend on me. I always try to do what someone asks me to do, even if it is out of my way.”
• Service: “I do community service with my church, my school, and sometimes on my personal time. I help clean the roads, and I also help with remodeling people’s houses.”
• Leadership: “I am captain of the men’s volleyball team, and I am a leader in our Student Government Association.”
• Patriotism: “I am willing to serve our country. I am also willing to help the economy become healthier and better. I believe these qualities are important because it helps the people of the world.”
Henderson is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Henderson of Jonesville.