December 4, 2013
Thursday, Dec. 5
• Come make music today at “Jam With Lunch” at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union. The jam will run from 11 a.m. through 1 p.m. All musicians, along with those who just want to listen, are invited to attend. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Community Prayer Meeting will be held at noon at the USC gazebo. All are invited to participate in a brief time of prayer for our community, state, and nation, and for the Church. You do not have to pray out loud to participate. Just come and join in silently if you like. If you can’t be at the gazebo, set aside some time during the day to pray for our community, state, and nation, and for the church. All are welcome.
• The Union County Senior Citizens meets at Mon Aetna Social Hall at 6 p.m. Please bring finger food. David Sullivan will be singing.
Saturday, Dec. 7
• You are invited to be a part of Jonesville’s Old Timey Christmas Parade. Festivities will begin at noon. There will be food vendors, local singing groups, activities for the kids and much, much more. Prizes will be awarded for the best floats or units. The parade will begin at 3 p.m. Line-up will begin at 1:30 p.m. “Sharp” Reserved Spots Only. Deadline for entries is Friday, Nov. 29. If interested please RSVP Tracy at 864-673-9191.
• The Sims High School Classes of 1958 and 1959 will hold a reunion planning meeting at 2:30 p.m. at Andy’s.
•The Woodmen of the World Christmas Party will be held at 6 p.m. at Woodmen Park. Food will be furnished by the camp. Santa will be there so bring a gift for your child to go under the tree and a canned good for the Salvation Army.
Monday, Dec. 9
• The Commissioners of the Housing Authority meets at 5 p.m. at 201 Porter St.
• The UCAC Writers’ Group meets from 6-8 p.m. at the UCAC Gallery on Main Street. Anyone interested in the craft of writing is welcome to attend. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Tuesday, Dec. 10
• The joint meeting of the Union Hospital Board of Trustees and Finance Committee will be held at 6 p.m. in the board room of Wallace Thomson Hospital.
Saturday, Dec. 14
• Betsy and Company presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino with 8:30 a.m. pickup at Jonesville Municipal Building and 9 a.m. pickup at the Old Walmart Parking Lot in Union. Proceeds go to the Relay for Life. If interested please call Betsy at 674-6799.
• House Dogs Social Club of Union, S.C., and Woman Of Occasion hosts a Community Christmas Dinner at 4 p.m. at the Pacolet River Association Building, 168 Lovers Lane Road, Union. It is free to the public. Everyone come out and enjoy yourselves. There will be numerous drawings for prizes, free food.
Sunday, Dec. 15
• The Sims High School Class of 1966 meets at the City of Union Municipal Building from 6-7 p.m. All members are asked to be present.
Monday, Dec. 16
• Due to space limitations, “Monday Night Music” will not be held this month; but will return in January. All musicians playing any type of music are invited to attend. The public is invited to listen for free. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Thursday, Dec. 19
• The Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at 1:30 p.m. at Andy’s. Please bring a $5 gift.
Thursday, Dec. 19-Friday, Dec. 20
• The Wallace Thomson Hospital Volunteers holds a $5 Jewelry and Gift Sale on Thursday, Dec. 19 from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and Friday, Dec. 20 from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. in the hospital lobby. Cash, check, and debit/credit cards are accepted. Come finish your Christmas shopping and take advantage of the great prices.
• “Painting With Coffee” meets from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium may attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are Dec. 10.
• “Local Artist’s Showcase” featuring art and crafts from over 20 Union area artists will be on display at the Union County Arts Council through Dec. 31. Many unique items are on display and on sale that would make a special Christmas gift for that hard-to-please person. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at email@example.com.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.