November 19, 2013
Tuesday, Nov. 19
• The Wallace Thomson Volunteers will have a Book & Gift Sale in the hospital lobby from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Find great Christmas gifts at affordable prices.
• Union City Council holds a public hearing at 5:45 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building to solicit public comments in connection with a proposed ordinance amending the City of Union Zoning Ordinance.
• Union City Council holds a public hearing at 6 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building to solicit public comments in connection with the proposed police of regulation of wrecker services.
• The Union County Senior Citizens will have its Holiday Meal at the Mon Aetna Baptist Church Social Hall at 6 p.m. Perry Sullivan from Taylor will be entertaining.
• Union City Council holds its November meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building.
• The Union County Fair Association will hold a board meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the Clemson Extension meeting room.
Thursday, Nov. 21
• The Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at Andy’s at 1:30 p.m.
• The Union County Arts Council’s Monday Night Musicians provides lives music at UCAC during Union’s annual Christmas Downtown Open House from 6-9 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 22
• The Wallace Thomson Volunteers will be holding their annual Fall Bake Sale in the hospital lobby beginning at 7 a.m. Money raised will go toward the adult volunteer scholarship fund. Items available: Cakes, pies, homemade bread, canned items, breakfast items, and other sweets.
Sunday, Nov. 24
• The Friends of the Union County Carnegie Library will host a reception from 3-4 p.m. to honor Senator Harvey Peeler and Representative Mike Anthony for their hard work in securing $1.25 million in state funding to pay for library renovations to restore and preserve its historic beauty. Light refreshments will be served.
Saturday, Nov. 30
• The Lukesville Community Care Club will once again sponsor it’s annual trip to Salley, S.C. Trip details can be obtained by calling Melissa Brown at 426-8864 or Bennie Kershaw at 466-7302.
Tuesday, Dec. 3
• The Union County Beekeepers Association will have Christmas dinner at 7 p.m. in the Clemson Extension classroom. If you plan to attend, please call Jean Pennas at 864-426-6660 to order your meal.
Saturday, Dec. 7
• The Sims High School Classes of 1958 and 1959 will hold a reunion planning meeting at 2:30 p.m. at Andy’s.
Saturday, Dec. 14
• Betsy and Company presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino with 8:30 a.m. pickup at Jonesville Municipal Building and 9 a.m. pickup at the Old Walmart Parking Lot in Union. Proceeds go to the Relay for Life. If interested please call Betsy at 674-6799.
• House Dogs Social Club of Union, S.C., and Woman Of Occasion hosts a Community Christmas Dinner at 4 p.m. at the Pacolet River Association Building, 168 Lovers Lane Road, Union. It is free to the public. Everyone come out and enjoy yourselves. There will be numerous drawings for prizes, free food.
Sunday, Dec. 15
• The Sims High School Class of 1966 meets at the City of Union Municipal Building from 6-7 p.m. All members are asked to be present.
• “Painting With Coffee” meets from 10-a.m.-12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium may attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
• The Union County Arts Council will present the 2013 Local Artist’s Showcase beginning Nov. 12 and running through Jan. 3. All art and other items for display must be turned in at UCAC during the week of Nov. 4-8 (closed Wed.). UCAC will accept any type of art, crafts, woodworking, jewelry, etc. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at email@example.com.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.