Charles Warner Editor
November 19, 2013
UNION — The Christmas shopping season in downtown Union will get off to its traditional early start this Thursday with an evening of food, special sales, prizes, carriage rides and visits by Frosty the Snowman and Santa Claus.
For more than 15 years, Christmas Open House has kicked off the holiday shopping season in downtown Union with the merchants and businesses of Main Street keeping their doors open late to provide the public with an evening of family-friendly Christmas-oriented fun. The event, which is sponsored by the downtown merchants and the Union County Chamber of Commerce, involves not only the businesses of Main Street, but churches and other groups who provide those in attendance with treats and entertainment.
“The objective is for the downtown merchants and businesses to get a jump start in a celebratory way to the Christmas shopping season,” Chamber Executive Director Torance Inman said. “Most businesses around the country start on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. The Union downtown businesses will be starting the Thursday before Thanksgiving.
“There will be special sales as well as door prizes and seasonal goodies at most every business along Main Street,” he said. “Main Street will be blocked off to traffic from Church Street to Enterprise Street and will be lined with different groups and churches and businesses, either providing food, baked goods or some form of entertainment.”
Inman said a total of 41 different businesses or groups are participating in this year’s Christmas Open House.
While that section of Main Street will be blocked off to traffic, Inman said there will be some special transportation available for those attending. He said there will also be two special visitors at this year’s Christmas Open House.
“There will be carriage rides down Main Street,” Inman said. “Santa Claus will make an early appearance in the lobby of Wells Fargo Bank and photo opportunities will be available. Frosty will be in the lobby of Provident Bank.”
Christmas Open House will be from 6-9 p.m. Thursday and Inman said that, besides being chilly, the weather will be good and he urged the public to attend.
“It appears it will be a cool evening but rain-free,” Inman said. “I encourage everyone to bundle up and come downtown to celebrate the Christmas season kickoff.”
Christmas Open House Participants 2013
These are the organizations that will be participating in Christmas Open House, where they will be located on Main Street, and what they will be doing
• Girl Scouts Troop 391 — Selling baked goods/hot chocolate in front of the Union County School District Office.
• Union County Health Care Foundation — Selling tickets for their Christmas Tour of Homes in front of Arthur State Bank.
• Big Daddy’s BBQ — Chamber Block
• Padgett’s Creek Baptist Church — Selling baked goods in front of ELB Loan.
• Hebron Baptist Church — Holding a bake sale/soup sale in front of Insurance Plus.
• Union County Arts Council — Local Artists’ Showcase featuring over 20 local artists
• Lockhart/Monarch Elementary Chorus — Approximately 68 children performing on the steps of the Union County School District Office.
• Meals on Wheels — Selling raffle tickets for the Holiday Dinner for 12 in front of Arthur State Bank.
• Liberty Tax — Handing out candy and fliers in front of Career Source.
• Buffalo Peanut Lady — I front of Graham Cash
• DOES — Bake sale in front of UC News.
• Lions’s Club/Friends of the Library — Book sale and light refreshments at the Lions Building.
• Buffalo Elementary School Chorus — Provident Community Bank at 6:15 p.m.
• Miracle League & Homer — Selling t-shirts, bracelets, ornaments, and necklaces in front of Miss Elaine’s.
• Journey Church — Church information, refreshments, and hot chocolate.
• Union County High School Strings — At the Union County Museum from 6-9 p.m.
• Frosty and photos by Lil Angels — Provident Bank.
• Santa and photos by Timeless Treasures — Wells Fargo — Cheryl Lawson
• Trophies of Union — Arts/crafts at Beatrice’s.
• UCARE — Fundraiser at the Union County Courthouse lawn.
• Voices of Truth — Outside Provident at 7:45 p.m.
• Ultimate Rhythm — Union County Courthouse at 6:45 p.m.
• Twist & Shout — Union County Courthouse at 7:15 p.m.
• Miss Melody Hope Farr — Singing inside Keepsake Jewelers.
• Miss Emily Lemons — Playing the keyboard outside Keepsake Jewelers.
• Sam’s Club — Selling Goodies at People’s Choice Insurance.
• Arthur State Bank — Performance by The Childers and refreshments inside.
• Frank’s — Boiled peanuts and candy apples at the corner of Main and Pinckney streets.
• Olde English District/Union County Tourism Commission — Brochures/information at the Old Super 10 building.
• Augsburg Lutheran — Bake sale at the Pregnancy Center.
• Kim Marler — Selling crochet items at the Pregnancy Center
• Julia Krasinski — Selling body sprays and lotions at Greene’s Salvage
• Tastefully Simple/Thirty-One-Tracy Duncan — Lion’s Club
• C&T Creations-Tracy Duncan — Lion’s Club
• Fat Sam’s — Selling philly cheese/french fries at the corner of Main and Gadberry streets.
• Buffalo Baptist Church Relay For Life fundraiser — Selling hot dog plates inside Wick’s Locksmith.
• Covenant Baptist — Bake Sale at Wells Fargo.
• Heath Walker — Singing outside Wells Fargo at 7:30 p.m.
• Smoke in your Eyes — Selling sausage dogs at Oscar’s.
• The Dance Academy — At Graham’s Flowers at 6:30 p.m.
• Miss Elaine’s Dance — At Graham’s Flowers at 7 p.m.
For more information about Christmas Open House contact the Union County Chamber of Commerce at 864-427-9039.
Editor Charles Warner can be reached at 864-427-1234, ext. 14, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org